Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Scones

While we were in Australia this winter, we were treated to scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam a couple of times. I have been on the search for a good recipe for scones since, and got this one from the Banff Springs Hotel via the Calgary Herald's Swerve magazine. Now to find clotted cream...

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 large egg

Mix dry ingredients, cut in butter. Mix in milk and egg until just incorporated. Roll out dough to about 3/4 inch thick, cut to desired size (I made 11 3 inch scones). Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes, until golden.

They turned out pretty good, but a little sticky; I think I'll try a touch more flour next time.

1 comment:

  1. I've been playing with this, found that the amount of milk was wrong (I changed it to 1/3 cup from 2/3 cup)- much better now.

    ReplyDelete