Monday, June 28, 2010

Chocolate cupcakes


Made some cupcakes today for a BBQ with friends. I like to make them in a mini-muffin pan, so people can just have a taste if they feel guilty about eating sweets. Mind you, some people just eat three or four instead!

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well and scraping down bowl between each addition. Mix flour, cocoa and baking powder together, then add in three batches, alternating with sour cream (begin and end with flour mixture). Fill muffin tins 3/4 full, bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes for full size cupcakes, 14-16 minutes for mini size.

I have silicone muffin pans, but if you don't, I would recommend using liners. I found some mini liners at the dollar store.

I made a simple buttercream icing for my cupcakes tonight. I just take 1/4 cup butter, add about 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 cup icing sugar and 1 tbsp milk. When it is combined well, I add icing sugar and/or milk until I have the amount I want and it is the right consistency to pipe. I have a large piping tip with a flower-ish opening and I just use it to pipe a blob of icing on top of each cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment