Friday, September 24, 2010

Sugar Doughnut Muffins

A friend from work saw this recipe in the newspaper and said I had to make it. I think she wanted me to make them and bring them to work for her, but I made them on a weekend. These are supposed to taste a lot like the mini donuts you can get at the Stampede. I found the taste pretty close, but the texture is off. I guess you need to deep-fry to get that puffiness.

3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

topping:
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. And in a measuring cup, combine the oil, milk and vanilla. Add the dry and wet ingredients to the egg mixture in two batches. Divide between 24 mini-muffin cups and bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes.

After allowing to cool for 5 minutes, remove from cups and brush top with melted butter and dip in sugar/cinnamon. They taste really great covered all over in the cinnamon sugar, but are very messy (just like mini donuts).

I found I had enough batter for 36 muffins, but I used small muffin cups. Just fill the cups about 3/4 full.

Hope you enjoy!

PS- See, Rhona, no chocolate today!

No comments:

Post a Comment