Friday, October 8, 2010

Cranberry Sauce

I found this recipe in the paper a few years ago. I don't like canned cranberry sauce (or jelly), so was very excited to try this. The cinnamon and honey really make it good, and it only takes about 30 minutes to make. I like to make it a couple of days in advance of the holiday meal.

1 pkg (12 oz/340g) fresh cranberries
1 3/4 cup cranberry juice
1 tbsp grated orange peel
3/4 cup honey
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp cloves

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes (until berries pop and sauce is thickened). Remove bay leaf, let cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.

Use unsweetened cranberry juice. I substituted orange juice once, it was very good, too. I was cooking it while typing this; wow, does my house smell good!

No comments:

Post a Comment